«

»

May 16

Part II Interview with Adam Scher, Principal, Way Elementary, Bloomfield Hills.

Adam Scher and Way Elementary initiated Making Thinking Visible in Oakland County.   Adam shared the following insights in an interview with me.  This is part II of a three (3) part interview. 

Adam Scher, Principal of Way Elementary

Developing a Culture of Thinking & Using Visible Thinking (Part II)

Year Two Focus 

Using Visible Thinking and developing a culture of thinking became more stressful and personal in year two for teachers.  They experienced what the students experienced in year one.  To help them deepen their understanding, we required all teachers to submit analytical reflections each month.  This provided them a structure for generating insights into their work and for personal accountability.  In their reflections, they looked at student work and their own work through the lenses of the eight cultural forces.  As a result of these reflections, they realized that the visible thinking approach to teaching and learning did not take additional time but rather replaced what they had been doing.  They also worked on combining curriculum standards where appropriate.  Using the Thinking Visible tools and developing a Culture of Thinking required them to reallocate how they delivered the curriculum to deepen student learning.

In year one, their learning was episodic and went from lesson to lesson.  In year two, it became much more integrated with a focus on the big picture of a lesson or unit and how  the parts fit together to generate deeper meaning.  Staff identified the big curricular ideas for every grade level.   One of the biggest changes we saw immediately was the learning language and attitudes of students.   They were more respectful of one another’s contributions, made efforts to connect with the ideas of others and wanted to add on to and expand the insights of each other.  This approach demands active participation on the part of students.

Teachers modeled the thinking strategies and the students modeled the teachers.  Staff realized how important this modeling was. As they engaged in their reflections, one of the aha’s gained by the year-two teachers was that they had stopped modeling the Visible Thinking strategies. Since they had several of these strategies on automatic, they were assuming the students did as well. They immediately put modeling back into their instructional process.  This is an example of how important reflection time is in the learning process for both teachers and students.  Staff only gained this and other insights into instruction because there was time, a structure and accountability expectation for doing regular reflection.  This process helped us move away from a doing work model and toward a learning model of instruction.

Please scroll down to find Part I of this interview posted on 5/13/13.  Watch for  part III, the final part, on Monday, 5/20/13.  Please feel free to leave a comment, suggestion of question using the comment box.

11 comments

2 pings

1. Judy Hauser

Very interesting!

2. green coffee bean importers

I could not refrain from commenting. Very well written!

3. seo services

An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a colleague who had
    been doing a little research on this. And he in fact ordered me breakfast due to the fact
    that I stumbled upon it for him… lol. So allow me to
    reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending the time to discuss this issue here
    on your blog.

4. Zhf5KvJyevmKR

562130 518670My brother suggested I would possibly like this blog. He was once entirely correct. This submit really created my day. You can

5. Susan Payne

As the media specialist at Way, I notice that students are more respectful when others are contributing and their expressive language relating or connecting to a story often is more developed. Our staff just had a discussion about how teachers need to provide students with the procedures, how to, and basics of navigating their way through learning. This year, I intend to encourage students to engage in conversation with someone is saying. I’m considering beginning by encouraging students to respond to one another with: “What makes you say that?” I plan to model interactive conversation and to build in time for students to have the opportunity to engage in conversation with one another.

6. how to get paid to write

Loved your take on Part II Interview with Adam Scher, Principal, Way Elementary, Bloomfield Hills. &! I’m just now getting into it myself.

7. Belly Fat Burning Foods

Howdy! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with
    us so I came to check it out. I’m definitely enjoying the information.
    I’m bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers!
    Superb blog and terrific style and design.

8. no monitoring fee alert

*I am definitely bookmarking this website and sharing it with my acquaintances. You will be getting plenty of visitors to your website from me!

9. best hair transplant

Amazing article, thanks, I will subscribe to you RSS later.

10. Online Children's Games for Learning and Entertainment with Kid Safe Browsers « PASTE

This blog site has some extremely useful stuff on it! Cheers for sharing it with me.

11. Neva Wingrove

Hi there! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I really enjoy reading through your posts. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the same subjects? Thanks a lot!

1. Snails Reloaded cheat

Snails Reloaded cheat…

Hi there I am so excited I found your blog page, I really found you by mistake, while I was researching on Aol for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say thank you for a fantastic post and a all round exciting blog (I also…

2. Timmy Kondracki

Shizuko…

well done…