- Please send your child with appropriate outdoor winter attire. The kids do go outside for recess every day as long as the temperature is not too low or the weather too bad. They need a warm winter coat, hat, gloves, and boots.
- Popcorn orders are due on Thursday. These are the upcoming popcorn dates: Feb. 8, March 1st, March 22nd, April 12th, April 26th, May 10th, May 31st and June 7
- We will be having a Valentine’s Day celebration on Thursday, February 14th. A note with more information will be coming home!
- California Pizza Kitchen fundraising night is February 15th. Remember to take your flier with you.
- Winter Break February 16-24
- We have run out of snacks again! If you would like to donate saltine crackers the kids and I would appreciate it!
Daily 5/Reader’s Workshop: We have been doing a lot of work with writing about what we read. We have practiced writing about the beginning, middle, and end of the story, story elements, and making text to self connections. When students are writing about what they read I’m not only looking for how well they understood the book, but also looking to see if they are using capitals at the beginning of sentences and periods at the end. We are making connections between reading and writing. Some of the reading strategies we have learned over the past few weeks are reread the text, make text to self connections, and make mental pictures.
Writer’s Workshop: Don’t be surprised if your child comes home and tries to persuade you into something! The unit we have been working on is Persuasive Letter Writing. There are 4 essential parts to writing a persuasive letter.
1. State your opinion/want
2.Write 3 reasons that support your opinion/want
3.Concluding statement where you restate your opinion/want
This week we will begin learning about poetry and writing our own poems!
Math: We have been working hard on our addition and subtraction facts. The students have been doing a nice job with their math timed tests and are now tracking their progress. Continue to practice at home with your child. This past week we began learning about fact families and how addition and subtraction are related.
Science: Our brassica plants have been growing! They are now blooming with yellow flowers. We have been recording observations throughout their growing process. Last week we also planted rye grass seeds and alfalfa seeds. We will be recording their growth as well.
Social Studies: We have now finished learning about families. This week the students began learning about needs and wants.